KDE lost ability to open HOWTO.gz's

Up until yesterday I could use the "home" button to open a window that
browsed my home directory. Then I could navigate to /usr/docs/HOWTO and
click on one of the HOWTO files and it would open up in a text editor so I
could read it (it tried opening three editor windows and giving a message
that I had "specificated a directory" (love that word--"specificated");
that didn't bother me too much; I just figured it was a bug yet to be
ironed out.

But then yesterday my X hung, and I did a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to shut it
down. When I restarted and navigated to the HOWTO directory and clicked on
a file, a window pops up asking me what app I want to open the file with.
Anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks.

Kent

Kent West, Technology Support
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu
Abilene Christian Univ., Abilene, TX
915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724
Amateur Radio: KC5ENO
Debian Linux: Ride the wave with the penguins!