Re: deb box as 'gateway'?

>  If I put the modem in the old 486, can I
> use that to dial out through both under NT4 and debian on the other box,
> and debian on that box?

   Of course.   First, install the Debian package called "diald" (dial on demand
daemon).  Then set up NT to see your Debian box as the gateway.  Then you'll need to
recompile with IP Masquerading support.  There is a really good HOW-TO document on IP
Masquerading, I'd strongly recommend getting that and following the instructions
there.

--
 Regards,                | Debian GNU/ __      o http://www.debian.org