8-bit characters on editor (joe)

Hi there,

I'm using a Spanish keyboard which has some special (8-bit?) characters in
it (such as accents, n with tilde~,...) and have the system configured for
using them.  In fact, they work fine on the command line, but not with the
editor I use (joe, jstar,...).  The joe doc says:

"If you want 8-bit character get through, you will have to play with you stty
settings:
On Posix/SysV try this command: stty -istrip -iexten -inpck"

and so I did, but nothing happened here (I believe that whereas Slackware
uses BSD, Debian uses SysV?).

How can I configure joe for using the 8-bit character?

Thanks in advance.

--
Un saludo,

Horacio