Update please on compiler status?

I am sticking my neck out on this, but it would be a great service to the
Debian community to have an occasional update on compiler/library status?  I
am half-assedly installing new libraries, etc., as they appear on the ftp
site in slink, and upgrading with apt (works really well, but everything has
to be set up perfectly for it to do it's thing).

I haven't been able to compile the newest xtide2 version.  This is strange.
I wonder whether my c++ compiler and libraries are out of sync.

What is the recommended compiler / library combination to use?  I'd like to
see a complete run-down...  it's very confusing to have several C compilers,
C++ compilers, two C++ libraries, etc.  This information should all
be in a document somewhere.  (I can't find faqomatic on the home page), and
if it is, I apologize.

Alan
--
Alan E. Davis                       Marianas High School (Science Department)
AAA196, Box 10001    adavis@netpci.com   http://www.saipan.netpci.com/~adavis