Perl/CPAN.pm/Zlib

This new Debian install's broken something ... when I run
the CPAN shell I get this:

cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.40)
ReadLine support enabled

cpan> i /imap/
Going to read /usr/local/src/CPAN/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
perl: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004/auto/Compress/Zlib/Zlib.so: undefined symbol: zlibVersion
[root@dora] /tmp#

Has somebody built things with the wrong Zlib version?  All my
Perl and Zlib is straight from the Hamm distrib ...

Gossamer

--
: --Neophilic-Hacker-Grrl-Geek-Eclectic-Gay-Disabled-Boychick--
: gossamer@tertius.net.au  http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/