Installing Debian 2.0 from hard disk (machine has no CD)

Hi,
I'm having trouble getting Debian 2.0 to install from a hard disk
partition (the PC in question doesn't have a CD drive :-()

I downloaded all the stuff I needed (according to install.html) from
ftp.debian.org, and put it on my HD (DOS drive D:, subdirectory \debian)

Then I started the install process. Great, no problems (I allocated
pre-existing Linux swap and root partitions to the Debian setup) - until
I came to "Install the base system". I said "from hard disk", told it
where, got the loading message. Then the install program came back, said
it what checking what I had to do next, then told me the next step was
to install the base system (again!)

I can't get past this step, no matter how often I redo it. "Configure
the base system" won't work - it says I need to install it first.

I checked the base2_0.tgz file - it untars fine on DOS, and it's exactly
the same size as the one on the FTP site (no accidental ASCII
downloads...)

Can anyone help?

Paul Moore.