Re: X Windows: Installation questions

On Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 09:47:35AM -0400, Christian Lavoie wrote:
> I've just started initiating myself to Linux, and I have a few questions
> installing the XWindows system.
>
> My relevant system specs are:
>
> Logitech FirstMouse 3buttons

Logitech mice rule ;)

> S3 ViRGE 325 PCI video card
> Canopus Pure3D 3Dfx accelerator 3D card
> Azura JEN0B00 monitor
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> 1) Running xf86config, How can I find what to answer to the RAMDAC question?

Um.... do you NEED to?
Generally I leave that one unanswered (answer Q I believe)

> 2) Looking through the packages site, I found that the SVGA server is
> favored over the S3V server, Why?

NFI I use the S3V server....I have heard of SVGA being better even for the
ViRGE cards...never tried tho.

> 3) After goign through the entire xf86config process, (and givin no answer
> to the RAMDAC question), the config file is broken, and the xserver does not
> recognize the line "Viewport    0 0". What does that line mean, and what is
> the problem?

can you do this...
startx 2> err
This will log the errors into a new file "err"...then post the contents
of it so we can see the error?
the relevant lines from the XF86Config file woul dbe apreciated
also.

> 4) What X client is favorable, I mean, is there one in particular gaining
> attention and support, or is it just personnal taste?

I am not sure what you are asking? Man progrmas could be considered
"X Clients" in fact... every program which uses X is an "X Client"
(since the screen itself is the "Server").

What specifically do you have in mind when you say X Client?
Can you elaborate?

> 5) Since I'm using Litestep (http://www.litestep.net) in Win95, I'll
> probably be using AfterStep in Xwindows, Where can I find the wharfs/*.app
> things?

Sounds like a plan. I tend to prefer FVWM2 and tkdesk (tho...I am starting
to use Gnome now instead of tkdesk...). COurse...I do most things in
text mode anyways...

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"