HP ScanJet Plus + Debian 2.0 (fwd)

Greetings folx.  I have an old HP ScanJet Plus connected to my
parallel port that I cannot seem to get working with Debian 2.0 no
matter what I try.

The parallel port has Base I/O address 0x378. I believe that this
is /dev/lp0.  Someone please confirm / correct this for me.
Secondly, I'm running Debian 2.0 "out of the box" (from CheapBytes 4
CD distribution, if it matters).  It's an Intel 486/dx4-100, VLB
architecture, with the I/O card in an ISA slot.

I've killed lpd so as to not conflict with the scanner software,
'saned'.  I manually (re-)loaded the lp.o module.  I've configured
/etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf, /etc/hosts.equiv, along with every
other file that I can think of that is mentioned in the saned(1)
manpage (but perhaps there's something here that I overlooked or
misconfigured).  I created a link /dev/scanner -> /dev/lp0 when I run
xcam and tell it to use either pnm:0 or pnm:1 (what are these?) it
tells me "Failed to start Scanner: Invalid argument" on that device.
I've tried specifying /dev/lp0 and /dev/scanner and get the same
"invalid parameter" result.  It almost sounds like there is a module
that needs to be loaded in the kernel and is being overlooked.

Can anyone offer some clues here?  Thanks in advance for your help.

 - DeJay@bedrock.dyn.ml.org

  _________
| http://bedrock.dyn.ml.org/dejay     |
| dejay@bedrock.dyn.ml.org            |