Re: HP ScanJet Plus + Debian 2.0 (fwd)

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Bedrock LAN Administrator wrote:

> Greetings folx.  I have an old HP ScanJet Plus connected to my
> parallel port that I cannot seem to get working with Debian 2.0 no
> matter what I try.

 If it's the scanner I'm thinking of (8bit grayscale scanner) it needs a
proprietary interface card to function, which isn't much like a
parallel port, except for the cable. Does it work with DOS/Windows?

 The ScanJet Plus is not listed as one of the supported scanners at the
SANE website. I'm pretty sure you're going to have a lot of trouble
getting this to work. You may have to write a driver yourself.

 I took a look at "hpscanpbm", which is a command-line program to scan
from HP scanners direct to a file, and which the SANE HP driver is based
on:
------------
This program controls Hewlett-Packard ScanJet series scanners. It captures
the image based on command-line parameters, and provides it
    as a thresholded, dithered, grayscale, or full-color Portable Pixmap.

    This is not a device driver; your ScanJet should be connected to a
SCSI adapter that is supported by Linux (which does not include the card
    that came with the ScanJet). This program uses the generic SCSI
interface, so this feature must be available in the kernel.
------------

 It doesn't look promising...

> architecture, with the I/O card in an ISA slot.

 Is this "I/O card" the one that came with the ScanJet? Does it work as a
regular parallel port (can you plug a printer or perhaps a Zip drive into
it?)

 If so, it's just barely possible you might be able to get this to work.
>From what I understand, the Zip drives talk some funky SCSI-over-parallel
language. *If* you can get that parallel-to-SCSI converter module, and
*if* it talks the same way to the ScanJet, it *might* work...

> misconfigured).  I created a link /dev/scanner -> /dev/lp0 when I run
> xcam and tell it to use either pnm:0 or pnm:1 (what are these?) it
 These are dummy scanners, for testing purposes. When you "scan" with
them, it just reads a graphics file in PNM format off the disk.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles          (248) 377-7735      ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "One man's 'magic' is another man's 'engineering'. 'Supernatural' is
                 a null word." - Robert Heinlein