X server problems

I've just installed Debian 2.0. While I have some rather superficial
familiarity with Linux in general (have played with a few distributions),
this is my first crack at Debian.

This is what I get when I run startx:

X: exec of /usr/bin/X11/XF86_NONE failed
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
giving up
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2)
xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error

I'm using a board with a Permedia2 chip, so I know I need to get the X
server from SuSE eventually, but right now I'm just trying to get X up and
running with the generic VGA X server. I gather from the messages that
something didn't get installed or configured properly, but I don't know
where to go from there.

Any assistance appreciated. Thanks...

Braden

<http://www.endoframe.com>