Re: X server problems

On 29 Sep 98 07:12:15 GMT, <braden@endoframe.com> you wrote:

>I've just installed Debian 2.0. While I have some rather superficial
>familiarity with Linux in general (have played with a few distributions),
>this is my first crack at Debian.
>
>This is what I get when I run startx:
>
>X: exec of /usr/bin/X11/XF86_NONE failed
[snippage]

Here's the problem.  You haven't specified which server to run, hence
the XF86_NONE string.  Edit to first line of /etc/X11/Xserver to point
to your desired server (XF86_VGA16).

>I'm using a board with a Permedia2 chip, so I know I need to get the X
>server from SuSE eventually, but right now I'm just trying to get X up and
>running with the generic VGA X server. I gather from the messages that
>something didn't get installed or configured properly, but I don't know
>where to go from there.

When you've got it going, have a poke around in /etc/X11 for more
files to configure.  Let us know how you get on.

Rob Wilderspin
--
"But I need it to crash once every few days -
reboots are the only chance I get to sleep..."