Re: Segmentation Faults

On Mon, Sep 28, 1998 at 01:53:48AM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:
>
> > This can indeed be the case.  If you have more than one dimm, or more
> > than two simms, you can test this by removing half of your memory, see
> > if you get the same errors, then install the other half, and check
> > again.  It could also be the processor.  If you are overclocking, stop
> > doing that.  If it only occurs after some time, it may be a heating
> > problem.  Have a look at the processor and power supply fans.
> >
> > You don't happen to run some development kernel I suppose?

For some reason I never received this message. But I downloaded memtest86
and ran it over night and did not find any errors. It ran for about 12 hours
and about 180 reps.

And no, I not running any of the development kernels. I am running Slink
with linux 2.0.35 kernel images from the slink distribution.

But I am afraid that George has hit the nail on the head.

> In addition: If you are running a Cyrix 6x86 chip, install the set6x86
> package and reboot. Check the CPU fan, if there is one to make sure it is
> turning. If there is only one system fan that blows air over a CPU
> heatsink, make sure ALL covers and panels are in place and any unused
> slots on the rear panel are covered. Systems such as Gateway and AST
> depend on proper airflow through the box to cool the CPU and missing
> covers and access plates will allow air to escape before taking the proper
> path over the heatsink.

I do have a fan on the cpu and in the PS, but I have always suspected that
the 6x86 is the problem. I am running the PR200+ version and am not running
it overspeed. I just have problems with Winbloze and now it is starting with
Linux. I am going to get some heat sink as you suggested and have already
downloaded the set6x86 and have set the auto-suspend mode on the chip. As
the doc said, if nothing else will set the idle speed to .03 watts verses
the 24 watts that it normally runs.

Thanks again for everyone's help, esp. George.

Mike Acklin
Debian User