Re: Segmentation Faults

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:

> This can indeed be the case.  If you have more than one dimm, or more
> than two simms, you can test this by removing half of your memory, see
> if you get the same errors, then install the other half, and check
> again.  It could also be the processor.  If you are overclocking, stop
> doing that.  If it only occurs after some time, it may be a heating
> problem.  Have a look at the processor and power supply fans.
>
> You don't happen to run some development kernel I suppose?

In addition: If you are running a Cyrix 6x86 chip, install the set6x86
package and reboot. Check the CPU fan, if there is one to make sure it is
turning. If there is only one system fan that blows air over a CPU
heatsink, make sure ALL covers and panels are in place and any unused
slots on the rear panel are covered. Systems such as Gateway and AST
depend on proper airflow through the box to cool the CPU and missing
covers and access plates will allow air to escape before taking the proper
path over the heatsink.

If replacement RAM does not repair the problem and fans and cover plates
appear OK, obtain a tube of silicone heatsink compound from an electronic
parts store (even Radio Shack carries it ... not the clear silicone
dielectic grease, you want the very white silicone heatsink grease),
remove the CPU heatsink, apply a THIN coating on the compound to the top
of the CPU chip and reapply the heatsink. This stuff improves the
efficiency of heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink by an order of
magnatude.

Make sure that your bus clocks in the BIOS setups are set to the factory
defaults and try again.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!