Re: Y2K+38 disaster in debian?

miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg) writes:

> It's a kernel issue. On 32 bit platforms time_t will probably always be
> restricted to 32 bits, but on 64 bits systems such as the alpha time_t
> is 64 bits .. and by 2038 I expect everyone to be running at least
> a 64 bit machine.

BZZT, wrong answer!

First, some people already need to go far into the future for
forecasting applications.

Secondly, even if desktop machines no longer are 32-bit, by that time
Linux certainly will run on minituarized devices that may not be
64-bit.  Let us not repeat the same mistake others are making!

> In fact in a few years everyone using the Intel platform will probably
> have switched to a mercoed or its successor which is 64 bit.

This is not due out for several more years, and considering that old
XTs from the early 80s will still be around at that time (they'll be
20 years old at least), it's not at all a stretch to say that the
32-bit machines from the late 1990s or early 2000s will still be
around in 2038.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org