Re: Y2K+38 disaster in debian?

On 27 Sep 1998, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

>In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980927144338.13218A-100000@wzab.nasz.dom>,
>Wojciech Zabolotny <wzab@ipe.pw.edu.pl> wrote:
>>Hi
>>There was a lot of noise about the y2k problem in old COBOL and M$
>>applications, but what about the "Y2K+38 disaster" in the POSIX world?
>>I was pretty sure that the new libc6 library implements 64 bit time_t,
>
>It's a kernel issue. On 32 bit platforms time_t will probably always be
>restricted to 32 bits, but on 64 bits systems such as the alpha time_t
>is 64 bits .. and by 2038 I expect everyone to be running at least
>a 64 bit machine.

I think it's this attitude that caused y2k to be so large and sudden, at
least i part.  Though it may be true, and though I would like it very much
to be true, I'd hate to bet on "EVERYBODY" moving to a 64 bit system.

After all, count the billions of dollars being spent on mainframe systems.
I would quite expect many companies to bleed those systems even drier now
they've been forced into spending so much money on them ...

- dave

--

   |     oOOooO           /
 --|    oOobodoO        /   dsb3@earthlink.net