backup using hard disk - any ideas

Hello,

I recently had a hard drive die on me causing me to lose lots of data.  I
have rebuilt my system (a K6/233 with Debian on 1GB and Win95 on 1GB) and I'm
looking at various ways of backing up my data so I don't lose it all again.
I currently have about 2 GB of drive space that I am not using and want to
devote to backing up my system.  At worst I can just do a cpio or tar but I
am sure there is a more elegant way to do it.  There might even be a package
which does this.  Any ideas are appreciated.

TIA
jmb