Re: Microsoft = Trustworthy? What was I thinking???

On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 09:43:13AM -0500, Ryan King wrote:
> I installed Debian Linux (and am very happy with it), and was working on
> getting Lilo to give me dual-boot options between it and my current
> WindowsNT O/S.

An extremely delicate procedure, Windows NT gets moody when you share
you system with another OS.

> First off, I'm more used to Win95 than WinNT, so it was a dissappointment
> as I realized that NT doesn't give you the command-line FDISK, but a
> "lovely" GUI tool: Disk Administrator.
>
> I figured, "No sweat, I'll just use Disk Admin. and get this over with."

I wouldn't be surprised if Disk Administrator totally wiped your Linux
partition(s).  Of course I could be wrong, but when I tried to dual
boot NT and Linux, I finally came to the conclusion that Disk
Administrator should not be used at all on the Linux partition(s).
Perhaps only my experience with NT Disk Administrator has been bad for
Linux, but I've also heard from a document or another individual of
shared sorrows with Linux and Disk Administrator.

Another point, perhaps of interest: when I first got my Windows NT
system last year, I planned to format my four gb drive to have a one
gb partition for Windows NT, and several Linux partitions (to setup
Linux the often recommended way, with separate partitions for /usr/,
/home/, /root/, etc).

However, when I made more than four primary partitions, i.e., when I
made three primary partitions plus logical drives in an extended
partition, Windows NT said my hard drive erroneous.  I created those
partitions using Linux's fdisk.  My procedure was essentially as
follows: partition disk using Linux's fdisk, install NT, install
Linux.  But simply having my disk partitioned with with Linux fdisk
created a disk unusable by NT.  NT would then report my disk size as
24 gb (!) or something ridiculous (completely out of wack).

Good luck!
Matt