Re: Microsoft = Trustworthy? What was I thinking???

> Linux loaded fine... until it tried to mount the disk:
>
> Kernel Panic:  Unable to mount /dev/hda3
>
> Now what do you guys say I try?

BTW, cfdisk is a text program with a pretty nice interface.

A couple of things:

(step 1) when you boot, after linux recognizes your IDE drives, what
does it say about your partitions?  You should see a line like "hda:
<hda1> <hda2> <hda3> <whatever other partitions you have>".  If you
have hda3, goto step 3, if not, continue to step 2.

(step 2) Hopefully, you wrote down your partition table somewhere (on
paper, saved it to disk, etc).  Either that, or it's real easy to
figure out -- ie, if hda1/2 still exist, and hda 3 was everything else
on the drive, just re-create that partition, and all (crossed fingers)
should work well.  You did create a rescue floppy, right? :-)

(step 3) Weird.  Use the rescue floppy, and run cfdisk, or fdisk (I
think cfdisk is on the rescue floppy, but I can't remember).
Remember, you can use alt-F2 to get to a prompt to do some work
outside of the installation script.
Make sure the type of hda3 is linux -- that's type 82 or 83 (hex) if
memory serves.  Windows may have changed this type to be something it
recognizes, although I don't know why this would adversely effect
linux.

And remember, even if you mess up the partition table, all the info is
still there (unless somebody writes over that part of the disk).  If
you can somehow correct the partition table, everything will magically
be OK. :-)

Good luck!
John