Re: MTA Frustration: Exim

If you want all email for user@csc.canterbury.ac.nz and
user@student.canterbury.ac.nz to be delivered to the local machine, yes.

> Should Caliban be there also? What happens if I try to email
> bob24@student.canterbury.ac.nz?

It will look for bob24 on the local machine because you told it that
student.canterbury.ac.nz was a local domain.

> What's the canonical way to stop and restart exim?

/etc/init.d/exim stop
to stop it and
/etc/init.d/exim start
to restart it. This is only if you are running it as a daemon. If you are
running it out of inetd, you do not need to do this, exim "restarts" after
each transaction.

> There must be tons of people in my position, on average a lot more
> email-stupid than those with complex networks to manage. There should
> really be a file saying "here's what you do if you're a single machine
> user with a dial-up account". Maybe there is already, but I never found
> it. Maybe it should be in the FAQ, or the FAQ_O_MATIC, or in the eximconf
> script itself.

What exactly are you trying to do? If your machine is
calabash.student.canterbury.ac.uk then THAT is what you need as the local
domain. Any domain that is not your machine is not a local domain. A local
domain means the local machine ... not one within a few miles of your
location.

THis of course assumes that calabash.student.canterbury.ac.uk is a real
machine with real DNS and can have mail delivered directly to it from the
internet. Otherwise, you are probably better off using your university
mail server as your smarthost and set your mail client to read pop3 mail
from their server just like Windows clients do.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!