Re: Multiple hosts & hosts.equiv

Gunnar Strand wrote:

> Hi,
> However, I can't get rlogin/rsh/rcp working "passwordlessly".
> I have added +<host> in /etc/hosts.equiv on both boxes and gone
> through /etc/login.defs with no success. I even get a password

login.defs is for shadow passwords.

> prompt when doing 'rlogin localhost'! I'm sure there is a config
> somewhere I've missed. How do you declare a host's chummy friends
> besides hosts.equiv?

Each user sets up who they trust with their account by defining a
.rhosts file is their home directory. It should look like

trusted.host.DNS user

where the DNS is a fully qualified domain name and user is the name of
the user on the trusted machine. You will then recieve no prompt for a
password.

> Secondly, what is the best way to propagate the passwd and group
> files? I consider using NIS but haven't put my teeth in it yet.
> I though perhaps an 'rcp' would do it, but since I can't rcp due
> to the password prompt, well, you get the picture.

NIS is surely one way. I have found it to flakey at best, but it does
work (did that just make sense :-/ ). rcp will also work, but remeber to
set up root to have rlogin rights. I do not remember how to do that.
Maybe someone else can follow up on this.

Hoe this helps.
--
Paul Miller
pmiller@jove.acs.unt.edu