Re: MTA Frustration: Exim

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Andrew wrote:
>
> > Is this line right from exim.conf?
> > local_domains = csc.canterbury.ac.nz:student.canterbury.ac.nz
>
> If you want all email for user@csc.canterbury.ac.nz and
> user@student.canterbury.ac.nz to be delivered to the local machine, yes.

right, I don't want to do that.

> What exactly are you trying to do? If your machine is>
 calabash.student.canterbury.ac.uk then THAT is what you need as the
local

> domain. Any domain that is not your machine is not a local domain. A local
> domain means the local machine ... not one within a few miles of your
> location.

eximconfig asks:

What is the `visible' mail name of your system? This will appear on
From: lines of outgoing messages.

I answered student.canterbury.ac.nz, because that's what I want on the
From: lines of outgoing messages. eximconfig puts it on the local_domains
list. I take it this is not what I want.

> THis of course assumes that calabash.student.canterbury.ac.uk is a real
> machine with real DNS and can have mail delivered directly to it from the
> internet. Otherwise, you are probably better off using your university
> mail server as your smarthost and set your mail client to read pop3 mail
> from their server just like Windows clients

That's what I want to do. Outgoing mail is working fine. The only
other thing I want is for local mail (such as ajt@Caliban) to be
delivered. At the moment it's not being delivered, and I have no idea why.

Andrew Tarr

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate"
|___
http://multinet.co.nz/personalhomepages/locusmeus/antechamber.html