MTA Frustration: Exim

I've been running Linux for almost eighteen months now, and I still don't
have a fully-functional MTA. I've been reading through the exim docs, and
fooled around a bit, and I now know far more about MTAs and daemons than I
ever did before, but I still don't seem to be any closer to solving my
problem. Exim's delivering remote mail alright, but for some reason not
local mail. Smail (when I was using it) deliviered local mail but not
remote. I've just run eximconf again to get exim using a configuration
file unsoiled by my clumsy hands, but it still doesn't work.

I have the standard desktop pc which dials to an ISP for internet access.
 My machine's name is Caliban,
my user name ajt and my email address is ajt60@student.canterbury.ac.nz.
All I want is:
* automatic delivery of local mail, mostly to /var/spool/mail/ajt
* delivery of fetchmail'd mail to /var/spool/mail/ajt
* everything else goes outside with From: ajt60@student.canterbury.ac.nz

and I'd be very happy.

Is this line right from exim.conf?
local_domains = csc.canterbury.ac.nz:student.canterbury.ac.nz

Should Caliban be there also? What happens if I try to email
bob24@student.canterbury.ac.nz?

What's the canonical way to stop and restart exim?

There must be tons of people in my position, on average a lot more
email-stupid than those with complex networks to manage. There should
really be a file saying "here's what you do if you're a single machine
user with a dial-up account". Maybe there is already, but I never found
it. Maybe it should be in the FAQ, or the FAQ_O_MATIC, or in the eximconf
script itself.

Andrew Tarr
"We were so close to heaven --- Peter came out and gave us badges,
proclaiming us `The Nicest of the Damned'"
-- They Might Be Giants