New install problems

Just got the Debian CD's this week and installed a new drive (D) for the
Linux installation. (Homebulit K-6 233 w\64mb)
Drive C is a 3.2gb IDE (master)  and the new drive(D) 5.1GB (slave).
Drive C is dual boot DOS and NT. The bios allows booting from D.
Earlier this week before I received the new drive I cleaned C and
installed Linux. The install seemed to work as the system booted and I
got the prompt.
 I then had to reinstall DOS and NT to C. The new disk came in, and
seems to be working properly. Both drives were recognised correctly.
Drive C was formatted with a 141mb swap at the end with the remainder in
three equal partitions. I have tried both logical and primary with the
same boot results.
hdb1 boot flag set and lilo   \  ext2
hdb2  linux
hdb3  linux
hdb4  swap

With the bios set to boot from D  all that appears is "LI" and the
systems hangs.

Since my experience with Linux began a few days ago I would appreciate
someone putting me on the right path for a good install with this
configuration so I can start the learning process.

TIA

Henry