Re: hamm ppp questions

Rick Pasotto writes:
> When I put my static local ip address in pppconfig ppp wouldn't start.
> The modem connected, login and password were ok but then after several
> ConfReq/ConfAck messages it gave up.

Please try this again and send me copies of /etc/ppp/peers/provider and the
resulting log.

> When I changed to noipdefault the connection was established but ppp.log
> started getting lots of EchoReq/EchoRep message pairs. What are they and
> what's causing them?

This is normal.  Your system and the ISP are assuring each other that they
are alive and the link is up.  To make it stop edit /etc/ppp/peers/provider
and comment out the 'debug' option.  Do the above experiment first, though.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)