Re: Using MySQL as user database

On Sep 17,  6:14pm, Alexander List wrote:
> Subject: Using MySQL as user database
> Hi!
>
> I am thinking about using mysql for administering my user database, as it
> will probably be quite large (expected round 10000 users).
>
> I thought about the following ways to do this:
>
> 1) using normal passwd/shadow files, dumped regularly from mysql
>
>    I encountered the following difficulties with this approach:
>
>    a) I do not want to store clear passwords anywhere, so
>    b) I would have to encrypt the user passwords "manually" when adding
>       a user to the database
>
> 2) patching shadow so that it can use mysql for authentication
>
>    I think there are even more problems with this approach, because
>    not only shadow uses the passwd/shadow database, but the whole libc
>    does, and I'm not sure if all my programs that need user information
>    use the getpwent() function of the C library...
>
> So my question is:
>
>    Has anyone done something like this before?

Radiator can authenticate from password files and/or MYSQL databases and
others. It also includes utilities for converting password files into DBM and
SQL databases.

http://www.open.com.au/radiator

--
Mike McCauley                                 mikem@open.com.au
Open System Consultants Pty. Ltd              Unix, Motif, C++, WWW

Radiator: the most portable, flexible and configurable RADIUS server anywhere
(SQL, proxy, DBM, files, LDAP, NIS+, password, Emerald, Platypus,
external, etc etc etc on Unix, Win95, NT)