Re: Basic question from a Debian new boy

> 	As far as I can tell, any given application in the Debian
> distribution is embedded in one of the *.deb files with any number of
> other applications. Is there a document available that tells which
> apps are contained in which *.deb packages?

Yep. Its in the Contents-* File. E.g. debian/hamm/Contents-i386.gz

> other, similar applications), is there a document available which
> gives a summary of the function, purpose and usage of the many and
> varied applications available for Linux?

Well, you can read one of the fine books about UNIX (My favourite is
'UNIX for the impatient'). But I think that approach would be rather
boring. I suggest, you take one of the standard installations the
installation program proposes to you. This should give you a rather
well behaving System. As you get acquainted with Linux, you may want to
tweak some tiny bits of your installation according to your personal
taste.

Stef