ppp problems

I've got two problems with ppp that have been ongoing for a while.  My
system started at Debian 1.3 and has been upgraded through the whole
unstable hamm process to a stable 2.0 system and is currently up to date
as of about a week ago.

I just started to have the need to use the ip-up scripting ability and
found that neither ip-up or ip-down are being executed by ppd.  I did a
'strings' on the current pppd binary to check what paths it was looking
for this stuff in and everything looks correct.  I had remembered that
long ago the ppp stuff was in different paths so it might have been
possible that I was using files left around from 1.3 or something.

Also, I cannot start a ppp connection as any user other than root.  It
fails to execute the chatscript as an unprivileged user yet all the
permissions seem correct.

Hopefully, somebody has seen these problems before.

Thanks,

Matt Porter
porter@neta.com