Re: ppp problems

On Thu, Sep 17, 1998 at 08:21:53AM -0700, Matt Porter wrote:

> I've got two problems with ppp that have been ongoing for a while.  My
> system started at Debian 1.3 and has been upgraded through the whole
> unstable hamm process to a stable 2.0 system and is currently up to date
> as of about a week ago.
>
> I just started to have the need to use the ip-up scripting ability and
> found that neither ip-up or ip-down are being executed by ppd.  I did a
> 'strings' on the current pppd binary to check what paths it was looking
> for this stuff in and everything looks correct.  I had remembered that
> long ago the ppp stuff was in different paths so it might have been
> possible that I was using files left around from 1.3 or something.

>From /etc/ppp/ip-up

# This script is run by the pppd after the link is established.
# It uses run-parts to run scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d, so to add routes,
# set IP address, run the mailq etc. you should create script(s) there.

> Also, I cannot start a ppp connection as any user other than root.  It
> fails to execute the chatscript as an unprivileged user yet all the
> permissions seem correct.

Add yourself (the "unprivileged user") to groups 'dip' and 'dialout'.

HTH,
Pann
--
                     What's All the Buzz About Linux?