Re: Kernel(-package) mysteries

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Remo Badii wrote:

 : Dear Debs,
 : this is my second list of questions about kernel compilation and modules
 : mysteries. I apologize for repeating part of the content of the previous
 : message, but I prefer to leave it for clarity.
 :
 : I have just succeeded in compiling a new kernel using
 : make menuconfig
 : make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
 : dpkg -i ../kernel-image...

[ snip ]

 : -rw-r--r--   1 root     root         5364 Sep 17 10:35 bsd_comp.o

corresponds to

 : # CCP compressors for PPP are only built as modules.

and

 : -rw-r--r--   1 root     root         2064 Sep 17 10:35 dummy.o

corresponds to

 : CONFIG_DUMMY=m

and

 : -rw-r--r--   1 root     root        25620 Sep 17 10:35 ppp.o

corresponds to

 : CONFIG_PPP=m
 :
 : Hence, something has been written into these directories, after all: by
 : which program?

dpkg put them there because your package contained them.  Those are the
only modules you wanted built.

 : Do I need to do some ``make modules'', ``make install_modules'' or is
 : make-kpkg followed by dpkg -i newkernel.deb enough?

dpkg -i newkernel.deb is good enough, assuming you did `make config'
correctly :)

 : I left the original Debian kernel in /boot and I can indeed boot with
 : it using lilo: how does this kernel find (make use of) "its"
 : /lib/modules/whatever if this directory has been renamed to
 : /lib/modules/2.0.34.save?

I think this is the big problem with multiple kernels of the same
version (but with different modules).  I don't know of a solution,
though I'm sure someone's working on it.

 : If the kernel does not need to read /lib/modules/2.0.34 in order to work,
 : who uses it?

These directories are only used when a module needs to be loaded AFAIK.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD