Re: {stupid pet tricks}blown Root passwd

"Stephen J. Carpenter" <sjc@delphi.com> writes:

> Yes that should do it...hmm...I seem to remember something about sync'ing
> twice....

Remounting as read-only should do all the syncing needed.

I can't remember if sync actually wait on the harddrive but I'm think
not. Then a doubel-sync and a quick power-off could ruin your hard
drive.

The thing about syncing twice (I heard 3 times) is something with
sitting on a 300 baud terminal. That leaves enough time for the
harddrive to actually do the syncing. (Try it and you know why it is
"ls" and not "dir")

--
Makholm d.y.