Re: {stupid pet tricks}blown Root passwd

"Stephen J. Carpenter" <sjc@delphi.com> writes:

#include <stddisclaimer.h>

> LILO: linux /bin/sh

[...]

> hopefully once you zap the root password...it SHOULD be sufficent
> to remount the filesystem read-only and issue halt or reboot

You didn't try this Stephen?

When I blew up my /etc/inittab this was the only way in. I think I
remember that I couldn't do a halt or reboot. The only way out was the
power switch. I had the rootpartition mounted read-only and everything
was fine when it booted.

I belive that halt and reboot almost just is synonyms for "init 0" and
"init 6" which maybe wouldn't work if not PID0 is a init allready.

--
Makholm d.y.