Re: {stupid pet tricks}blown Root passwd

On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 02:18:40AM -0600, Kent Andersen wrote:
> I seem to have a problem changed my root password on one of my systems and
> whamo when I later tried to su root my password doesent work...
> went through the normal booting from a floppy but cant seem to mount the
> harddrive so I can edit the passwd file or login as root without pass. any
> ideas? Its kinda like stupid pet tricks night.

Does it have lilo? can you give it boot parameters?

if so try this:

LILO: linux /bin/sh

This will tell the kernel that init is /bin/sh.
As soon as the kernel is done booting it will run /bin/sh and you will get
a shell.

issues:
With the real init NOT running you will have to do allot by hand

hopefully once you zap the root password...it SHOULD be sufficent
to remount the filesystem read-only and issue halt or reboot

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"