Re: A question on runlevels

In article <[🔎] Pine.BSD.3.91.980911160431.25659A-100000@qnx.com>,
Steve Tremblett <stevet@qnx.com> wrote:
>I've just installed Debian 2.0 for the first time (in fact it is the first
>time I've installed Debian).  I'm well experienced with Linux and UNIX in
>general, but I've hit something that I've never had to do before.  Debian
>2.0 doesn't install any default runlevels - just /etc/init.d.  I've always

Huh? Do you mean you have no /etc/rc2.d ? Something must have
gone very wrong in the installation then. I've never seen this.

Wait .. perhaps you installed the file-rc package .. in which case
things are very different. What does "dpkg -s file-rc" say ?

>seen default runlevels installed, and just removed or added applications
>by hand without thinking about the default setup - most stuff just worked.

To update the symlinks in /etc/rc?.d you really should use the
"update-rc.d" tool.

>When I tried to setup runlevel 2 (/etc/rc2.d), after booting, it won't let
>a non-root user login because the system claims to be still booting.  Also

At bootup a /etc/nologin file is created. The last stage in the
bootprocess is /etc/init.d/rmnologin, usually pointed to by
/etc/rc2.d/S99rmnologin which gets run as the last step in runlevel 2
before starting the getties and letting the users log in. It's to
prevent users from loggin in through telnet/rlogin before the system
has completely finished booting.

>after setting up a new kernel, it still tries to load modules that I have
>either disposed of, or included in the kernel.  Yes, I moved the
>/lib/modules/2.0.34 before 'make modules_install'.

It might do that because you haven't changed the /etc/modules file.
That's the config file that defines what modules are loaded at boot time.

Mike.
--
  "Seed me, Seymour"
  -- a random number generator meets the big green mother from outer space