Re: Serial Console

In article <[🔎] 19980911121825.A9306@sailer.rhic.bnl.gov>,
Tim Sailer <sailer@sailer.rhic.bnl.gov> wrote:
>Has anyone actually gotten the serial console stuff to work with the
>newer kernels?

Yes, I have ;) You mean the 2.1.x kernels I presume? I'll talk about that.
BTW, there is a backport of the 2.1.x serial console stuff to 2.0.x
at ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/miquels/kernel/

>It works to a point, with lilo allowing input from
>the serial port, and the initial kernel messages going to the port,
>but right after it initializes the swap, all I/O stops at the serial
>port. When the system is rebooted, the shutdown messages go to the
>port. I'm clueless at this point...

Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt. It explains
that you need to create a new /dev/console device.

The only thing it doesn't state is that if you want to use
for example /dev/ttyS1 as a console you obviously also need to
run a regular getty on it from /etc/inittab in order to login
after the boot process has finished.

Mike.
--
  "Seed me, Seymour"
  -- a random number generator meets the big green mother from outer space