A question on runlevels

I've just installed Debian 2.0 for the first time (in fact it is the first
time I've installed Debian).  I'm well experienced with Linux and UNIX in
general, but I've hit something that I've never had to do before.  Debian
2.0 doesn't install any default runlevels - just /etc/init.d.  I've always
seen default runlevels installed, and just removed or added applications
by hand without thinking about the default setup - most stuff just worked.
When I tried to setup runlevel 2 (/etc/rc2.d), after booting, it won't let
a non-root user login because the system claims to be still booting.  Also
after setting up a new kernel, it still tries to load modules that I have
either disposed of, or included in the kernel.  Yes, I moved the
/lib/modules/2.0.34 before 'make modules_install'.

After my long-winded description, it boils down to 2 questions:
- What defines the system as 'still booting'?
- What defines the list of modules available on the system, or the list
of modules to load on boot?

I'd list my /etc/init.d and /etc/rc2.d, but I'm not at said machine at
the moment.

Thanks to all - I look forward to a rewarding relationship with Debian
and the Debian community.

Steve Tremblett
QNX Technical Support