Re: PON on REQUEST

On Fri, Sep 11, 1998 at 01:24:01PM -0700, Lazar Fleysher wrote:
> Greeting everyone,
>
> Very often, I have to work on my home computer from other places and I do
> not want to have my home computer on-line all the time.

Hmm well....
personally I DO want my computer online all the time whether I am
here or not but my ISP doesn't allow it on my
account and I can't convince my girlfriend $70/month is
worth it for a static IP and being allowed to stay connected

> Would it be possible to configure it in such a way so when I call home say
> two times in a row, pon would be executed automaticaly and ip-up ( I did
> it already) would post the IP address of the home computer on a designated
> page?

Well...what type of modem you have? isn't there a package for voice
communications like setting up a voicemail system? that could do it..
call... press "5" enter your "PIN" :)

as for web page posting....
you can do better....check out ml.org The monolith has a dynamic DNS
setup. Just use lynx as part of ip-up
to dump your IP out to a URL where the DNS is updated with your new
name.

I am carpanet.dyn.ml.org when im online. Then poff uses lynx to disable it

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"