floppy boot to changed /dev/hdax

Hi,

  I am trying to add a logical partition for anonther OS but
my linux boot disk expects my swap and root partitions to be
in the same spot.

Linux root and swap are hda7 and hda8 respectively. I create
a new hda7 that changes the linux root and swap devices to
be hda8 and hda9 respectively.

I can add the boot option: linux root=/dev/hda8 but I can't
get it to recognize that the swap partition is moved.

I've tried using rdev and rdev -s on the floppy, and these
report the correct devices after the change, but the floppy's
behavior does not change.

I've played with the fstab file also.

Anybody know how to do this?

Thanks,