Re: Seyon and Xadmin... can't see but it's there....

At 09:53 AM 9/1/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>Hey,
>
>I am a newbie so here it goes. . . .
>
>First off I installed linux by downloading everything of the net onto a
>DOS partition. Now I'm up and running, but of course I keep get this
>depends on that or suggest and recommends...that all good. The first
>question is when I use Xadmin it just froze...the LEDs on my computer
>just flicked and flicked...So I ran it from Xterm and got the error that
>:
>
>Xadmin could not locate the font. It seemed that /perl15/tk/widget.pm
>did not exist.
>I then went to the directory it said and looked for the file...it was
>right there!!!  I also, have this problem with Seyon, It say the file
>phonelist is not there or in default directory, but I manually put it in
>both. Can someone tell me how  to make either or this two programs
>see!!!
>> Roderick P. Person
>> HealthAmerica
>> (412)577-5023
>> "..everything that can be said about anything, has already be
>> said...."

I'm also a newbie, so my suggestion may be totally off the mark (plus it
doesn't matter if I hose my system; your system might matter, in which case
I'd take my suggestion with a large grain of salt). My suspicion is that
the files have different permissions that what you need to access them. Are
you logged in as root (or SU, etc)? If so, try logging in as a regular
user. If not, try logging in as root and see what happens (although
normally you don't want to log in as root except when absolutely
necessary). You can look at the permissions on the files with a command
similar to ls -a <filename>. The first column will have a bunch of Xs
and/or dashes, etc. Almost any tutorial on linux will explain what these
mean, or you can probably "man permissions" for more info.

Kent West			| Technology Support/                 		|
Abilene Christian University	| Voice: 915-674-2557  FAX: 915.674.6724	|
ACU Station, Box 29005	| E-MAIL: kent.west@infotech.acu.edu		|
Abilene, TX  79699-9005	| Ham:    KC5ENO, General			|