X11 installation problems

Hello again.

I'm having trouble with the VGA16 server during the configuration
portion of dselect.  It asks if I want it to create the configuration
file and when I say yes I get a message saying that the file was not
created.  It then repeats the question but at that point the display
becomes skewed where the message starts a third of the way across the
screen and the keyboard no longer responds to anything but ^C.  That
gives an error and the configuration of the other files continues but
the screen is still skewed and the only response I can give until the
process is complete is ^C.

I'm installing from a CheapBytes CD if that helps.  Do they offer any
kind of support?  I bought the 4 disc version and the installation
isn't very clear cut for us newbies.  I'm still not sure how to
install contrib & non-free packages.  Do I need to run dselect 3 times?

One more thing.  Recently someone asked about how to execute the basic
configuration options that are given before running dselect the first
time but I can't seem to find the message.  Could someone forward that
to me as well?  TIA

Cristov Russell
wolfsong333@yahoo.com