Re: Debian /etc/groups

On 30 Aug 1998, Torsten Hilbrich wrote:

> Is there any standard for such a thing?  Even the FSSTND (1.2) didn't
> even mention group ids.
>
> 	Torsten
>
> BTW: Standarisation of such topics among all unix versions would be
> great, but is almost impossible (compare BSD based systems with SysV
> systems).

Right. Since Sun is the most popular NIS/Automount NFS environment, it
would be logical to target that a goal for compatability. Also, Sun has
been very supportive of Linux recently.

If there isn't such a standard, maybe there should be. I know that HP-UX
and Solaris are compatable in this way, we have a couple of HP-UX
workstations on our net that NFS mount user home directories and the mail
spool.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!