Re: [HELP/ADVICES NEEDED] Problems w/ my HD

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Max Lawson wrote:

> I'm running Debian GNU/Linux at home. I've overclocked my box a few days ago by
> increasing the bus frequency.

One might say that you were asking for it.  If you overclock the system
bus, you'll overclock most other busses along with it (this can actually
be seen as a feature, not a bug :-) .)  The snag is, that all devices
attached to the overclocked busses must be able to cope with it.

> The "problem" I have is the messages printed at boot time. Forgotten to
> take the messages but they're of the form "status=0x.." and "error=0x..".
> I've also noticed that the HD activity LED stays on even if no request is
> performed on the HD.

Looks like your harddisk is misbehaving then.  Gee, I wonder why.

> Note that, the system have been stable for 4days and so (and I've almost
> forgotten this trouble untill I reboot today).

Erm, maybe you just shouldn't reboot anymore!  Or set the system bus back
to normal speed again.  Or buy other disks, videocards etc. that can
stands the increased strain from being clocked above manufacturer
specification.

It also helps to have a very robust motherboard that keeps signals in
shape (literally, crappy boards will allow signal edges to go sloppy or
even rippled) as frequencies increase.

Cheers,

Joost