Re: How to reinstall packages ?

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Ionut Borcoman wrote:

> I know this method. What I want is something to do an reisntalation for
> ALL the installed packages from the system, not a specific one. When you
> have tens of programms, it is no fun to make this process by hand !.

It is quite easy in fact:

# STEP 1:
# first mount your cdrom;
# I have an entry for it in /etc/fstab, but you may
# have to specify the physical device here too
# (oh and _first_ insert the physical cd of course.)
#
mount /cdrom

# STEP 2:
# cd to the right place in the directory tree of
# your favorite debian release on the cd.
# YMMV because the layout changed a bit recently.
#
cd /cdrom/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386

# STEP 3:
# make dpkg do its thing.
# read the fine dpkg manpage to learn what the
# "GREB" options mean exactly.
#
dpkg -iGREB *

# STEP 4:
# depending on what is on your cd, you may want to
# reiterate steps 2 and 3, substituting "contrib",
# "non-free" or "non-US" for "main" in step 2.

Cheers,

Joost