kernel worries

We're getting a brand new PC over here and I just realized that the
SCSI controller that it comes with is not supported by the 2.0.35
version of the kernel, but it is supported by the latest development
kernel.  The controller is an onboard Adaptec AIC-7895.  The problem
is that the disk drive is also SCSI, so how do I work with it if the
install program can't recognize it?  Even if I install DOS first, how
do I get the development kernel compiled if I have to work off the
floppy?  Maybe these are dumb questions, but I'm fairly new to Linux.

Also, I'll need to mount AFS on this machine.  Can I compile AFS as an
installable module or do I need to compile it into the kernel?  In
either case, can I use the latest development kernel?

The reason I'm so bent on using the development kernel is because it
seems that it's the only way I can get SCSI (AIC-7895), sound (Turtle
Beach Fiji) and Ethernet (3Com 3C905) support.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Max