Re: X problems (fwd)

On Sat, Aug 22, 1998 at 12:30:24AM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> When startx works, I get a flash, a quick screen with some junk, and
> then a grey screen which changes to blue (my root window color).  When I
> execute startx the second time, I get a quick flash and the system is
> gone.
> I suppose I've got some weird hardware problem :<

I've got your same video board (STB Velocity 3D with 4Mb memory) and experienced your same problem: the mode diplay of my monitor reported "NEW MODE" after the system crash, meaning the video card han been put to some junk resolution.

The solution for me was to switch from XF86_SVGA to XF86_S3V: install xserver-s3v and change the first line of /etc/X11/Xserver to /usr/bin/X11/XF86_S3V.

Probably XF86_SVGA needs some more testing on this video board... someone post a bug report to them?

				Ciao! Enrico