Debian Books?

Hi all-

I'm relatively new to Debian (just migrated from S.u.S.E.) and was
wondering if anyone knows of any books that have a Debian slant.
I'd like to know things like is there a debian command equivalent to
rpm -q with rpm-based distributions and any other little tidbits
specific to Debian. I'd search the list archives, but that would
require that I know what I'm looking for.

One thing that I can't figure out is how to set up a color ls. I copied
a custom DIR_COLORS file to /etc, and created an alias for ls with
the --color option but some of my files, namely those that are archived,
compressed,etc., and image files don't display any color whatsoever.

Also, I seem to be having problems setting permissions and ownerships
correctly on files so that I can start a ppp connection as a user.
I have been able to install my ppp-scripts in other dists and change a
few ownerships and permissions and bingo, I can start a dialup session
without a problem.

Also is there some sort of log file that I can peruse to see all that
I have installed on my system? I'm installing via ftp over a 57K modem
because the cd-roms I bought from cheapbytes are screwy.

Thanks for reading and I'm sure I'll be posting frequently as I
acclimate to Debian.

Mark