Re: Debian Books?

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 05:54:41PM -0700, Mark Wagnon wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> I'm relatively new to Debian (just migrated from S.u.S.E.) and was
> wondering if anyone knows of any books that have a Debian slant.
> I'd like to know things like is there a debian command equivalent to
> rpm -q with rpm-based distributions and any other little tidbits
 dpkg -l does the trick.

> Also, I seem to be having problems setting permissions and ownerships
> correctly on files so that I can start a ppp connection as a user.
> I have been able to install my ppp-scripts in other dists and change a
> few ownerships and permissions and bingo, I can start a dialup session
> without a problem.
 Install package called super (it's a way of giving root privs to users with
some control) I used that just before I got my leased line setup.

> Also is there some sort of log file that I can peruse to see all that
> I have installed on my system? I'm installing via ftp over a 57K modem
 Hmm... dpkg -l will output list of all packages along with their state. This
is useful for quick glance. If You want more info either use dpkg -s <pkg> or
dselect (togheter with apt deselct is realy good)

--
 Robert Ramiega   | robert@pdi.net    IRC: _Jedi_ | Don't underestimate
 IT Manager @ PDi | http://plukwa.pdi.net/        | the power of Source