Re: Debian Books?

Mark Wagnon wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> I'm relatively new to Debian (just migrated from S.u.S.E.) and was
> wondering if anyone knows of any books that have a Debian slant.
> I'd like to know things like is there a debian command equivalent to
> rpm -q with rpm-based distributions and any other little tidbits
> specific to Debian. I'd search the list archives, but that would
> require that I know what I'm looking for.

man dpkg should work nice, or try using man dselect. Other than this
I don't know allot about redhat, sorry

> One thing that I can't figure out is how to set up a color ls. I copied
> a custom DIR_COLORS file to /etc, and created an alias for ls with
> the --color option but some of my files, namely those that are archived,
> compressed,etc., and image files don't display any color whatsoever.

I'd check the man files explaining the dir_color structure.  starting
with man ls...

> Also, I seem to be having problems setting permissions and ownerships
> correctly on files so that I can start a ppp connection as a user.
> I have been able to install my ppp-scripts in other dists and change a
> few ownerships and permissions and bingo, I can start a dialup session
> without a problem.

So you fixed the problem?

> Also is there some sort of log file that I can peruse to see all that
> I have installed on my system? I'm installing via ftp over a 57K modem
> because the cd-roms I bought from cheapbytes are screwy.

Yeah.  use dselect, the package maintainer, the select option with
tell you what is installed.  It'll also automatically once setup
download and installed the package use selection using select.  Check it
out.

> Thanks for reading and I'm sure I'll be posting frequently as I
> acclimate to Debian.

Sure Ask away.  I'd to a look on those man pages, but right now, my
roommatre need win95 up.