Re: CD-RW experiences?

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 02:04:41AM -0700, Dan Hugo wrote:
> I am thinking about getting a CD-RW drive to archive things, and maybe
> even to maintain an up-to-date Debian CD set.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with these drives?
>
> Since I happen to work at Philips, I would most likely be getting one of
> those models (the 3610, I believe, but I don't work in the optical
> storage group, so I don't know much about them) if they work.  BUT, if
> someone has found a particular CD-RW drive to work well with their
> Debian system, I would like to know what would be the best way to go.
>
> Or, I could get a CD-R drive, about which there is much more info (I
> read through the CD-ROM/CD-writing HOWTOs, and a list of compatible
> drives, but it was mostly CD-R biased).

Well...
I would recommend CD-R for a few reasons:
a) price
a CD-R disk costs about $1.40 each for me...and thats not even buying
in bulk. I have never had a problem with them

I hear the CD-RW are more expensive

b) Universally Usefull
I read about CD-RW correct me if I am wrong but, while the finished
disk is the same as a normal CD in how it works...the reflective layer isn't
reflective enough to be read by MOST normal CD drives...and thus can
really only be used in other CD_RW drives

c) I like permamnat storage

I like writting data onto a CD and knowing it i sthere...
so what if I need a new CD to make a new copy.. thats ok...
now I have an old version too...

Can never have too much data archived :)

besides if worst comes to worst.... old CDs make nice wall ornaments...and
good coasters...they make poor frisbees tho...

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"