Re: CD-RW experiences?

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Dan Hugo wrote:

> I am thinking about getting a CD-RW drive to archive things, and maybe
> even to maintain an up-to-date Debian CD set.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with these drives?
>
> Since I happen to work at Philips, I would most likely be getting one of
> those models (the 3610, I believe, but I don't work in the optical
> storage group, so I don't know much about them) if they work.  BUT, if
> someone has found a particular CD-RW drive to work well with their
> Debian system, I would like to know what would be the best way to go.
>
> Or, I could get a CD-R drive, about which there is much more info (I
> read through the CD-ROM/CD-writing HOWTOs, and a list of compatible
> drives, but it was mostly CD-R biased).

Hi,

I have a Philips CDD2600 CD-R drive and am satisfied with it.

Prices of raw CD-R disks have gone the way of RAM prices, while raw CD-RW
disks are still quite expensive.  It is also my understanding that regular
CDROM drives have trouble reading the CD-RW disks.  So you're likely
unable to share the benefits of being able to write CD's with most of your
friends.

If you don't care about incompatibility problems, keep saving money for a
little longer and buy a DVD-RW.

Cheers,

Joost