Re: identd

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 09:10:20AM +0200, Matus fantomas Uhlar wrote:
> -> > > This mail will be forwarded to all IRC operator lists and all sites using
> -> > > such identd will be K:-lined.
> -> >
> -> > hey that's not very nice.  Besides, it appears that changing the ident is
> -> > not possible without other account names, etc.  So if the users want
> -> > multiple bots, they'll need to pay for it.  I, personally, don't know
> -> > anything about bots...
> ->
> -> Ridiculous is more what I'd call it.  You'll not be able to tell the
> -> differernce if it complies to the RFC standard anyway, so save
> -> your breath.
>
> if anyone will find he's usiong fake identd ppl will k-line him...
> IRC is not made for putting bots and bots abuse IRC. if someone wants to
> abuse IRC he will be banned.

Well I have to agree...
I personally almost never use IRC but...if a server admin doesn't want somone
logging on and setting up multiple bots then that is their right. It is
generally a free service afterall...
if someone thinks it is sooo important that they have multiple bots
they could always shell out a few bux a month for a T-1 and start their
own IRC server.

of course...I have mixed feelings on spoofed identd itself...
I had actually thought of playing with that...cuz I know some
sites expect to find identd but... I dunno how much I like hte
idea someone can so easily get my local username....
I was thinking of something like just having it return back a random
string of charicters every time it is querried...
is there any real reason NOT to do this?

just as server admins have the right to bann or require anything they
want...but...who says I have to allow people to identd me?
and who says when you ask MY server for something it has to respond
with the right answer :)

No I wouldn't use this to subvert IRC servers...cuz I don't like
IRC (I am too used to delphi conference system)

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"